Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Christian Slater: Eyebrows, Etc.



While watching Lies and Illusions (don't waste your $1 or trip to the red box) we couldn't help but notice that Christian Slater looked particularly odd, like a hobbit or elf of some sort. Most disturbing were his eyebrows. After much debate and various theories (makeup, intentionally tweezed to reframe his face, part of his film character) we were no closer at arriving at an answer but had many more questions. We had a vague recollection of CS being pretty popular at one time, but couldn't actually name a single CS movie. Thus began our research....




First and foremost, Christian Slater's eyebrows are completely natural (really unfortunate for him). Apparently they've always been and have been the center of media attention. There's a long-standing rumor that he shaved them off to look like Spock for Halloween and they never grew back properly. CS says that he was joking with a reporter in one of his first interviews, and it was somehow printed as fact.... Personally, I would have stuck with the costume story or made something up about a fire; beats saying "no...that really is just how my face is." If I were him, I'd be sure to note that the fire also burned his scalp, killing hair follicles in a pattern resembling an extreme receding hairline.

CS has also been accused of impersonation due to his eyebrows: "If I make a move, like raise my eyebrows, some critic says I'm doing Nicholson. What am I supposed to do, cut off my eyebrows?"





Personally, I've always thought of him more as an Ethan Hawke impersonator...



Random facts:
  • CS is 40 years old and clearly a Botox addict.
  • Dropped out of high school but got his GED years later.
  • He has a green belt in kenpo karate (I don't think I've heard about karate belts since elementary school- and green is like level 5 out of 9).
  • CS was arrested on charges of third degree sexual abuse in 2005: A woman claimed that Slater grabbed her ass on a Manhattan street.
  • Famous quote: "Work is my hobby, staying sober is my job."

No comments:

Post a Comment